1) Will Fret Zealot work with left-handed guitars?
Yes! The only difference is that the “spine” of Fret Zealot will be on the bottom (ground side) of the neck for left-handed guitars. It’s very smooth and only 1.5mm in height along the spine (less in height above the frets of course), so it will still be unnoticed while playing.
2) Does Fret Zealot work on acoustic guitars?
Yes! We show a lot of electric guitar action in the videos, but Fret Zealot works on all full size guitars.
3) Will Fret Zealot installation damage my guitar?
Nope! The adhesive we use is removable (similar to how sticky notes work) and will not damage your guitar should you decide to remove Fret Zealot at some point.
4) Can I remove Fret Zealot from one guitar and put it on another?
You can remove Fret Zealot from your guitar (see FAQ 3 above!), but you cannot re-apply Fret Zealot on another guitar. Fret Zealot is a one-time installation only due to the adhesive’s properties and to ensure that Fret Zealot doesn’t ever lift up at the corners (a seemingly small, but very important consideration).
Some people have re-applied a Fret Zealot with double-sided adhesive tapes. The hold won’t be as good, and we wouldn’t recommend this as a strategy because the edges of Fret Zealot likely won’t hold as well.
If you want Fret Zealot for two of your guitars and already have a battery pack, you can purchase the LED strip portion here.
5) Will Fret Zealot work on any full scale guitar?
Yes! You just need a full size guitar (i.e. not a “junior” guitar). Fret Zealot was designed to be compatible with all mass market normal guitars. The two most common scale lengths are 24.75” (e.g. Gibson) and 25.5” (e.g. Fender). Fret Zealot is manufactured to fit both of these sizes and anywhere in-between. On the smallest scale lengths, the LED strip is situated directly/flush behind the fret, whereas with the slightly larger scale-lengths, there is a small gap in the higher frets, but the LED indication is still very clear and intuitive.
6) Will there be enough chords and songs in the app?
Chords, scales, and tuning are super easy and the app will have anything you can possibly want to play. If it’s somehow missing, let us know (email firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll push an update immediately! We’re even making the chords and scales automatically update according to any custom tuning you set up on your guitar. Imagine how cool that’s going to be! The new chords on the specific tuning will be displayed instantly instead of you having to transpose or look them up.
All popular (or even marginally popular) songs exist in freely-available MIDI files, so we can display any of the tabs (on Fret Zealot of course) that you find on tablature (tabs) websites. You can also upload your own songs (in Midi or Guitar Pro 3/4/5 format ) here. You can rate each tab so that you and other users can find the best tabs for various songs. We guarantee you will not feel limited by the selection of songs in the app :-).
If you have GPX files, you can use TuxGuitar to convert them to a compatible format.
7) I Can’t see the Fret Zealot in the App, but I’ve Connected in the System Settings.
Fret Zealot does not need to be paired with a device in the traditional sense, so we recommend connecting to the Fret Zealot directly from the App, instead of through the System Settings.
Since you have already paired the Fret Zealot via System Settings:
- Go into System Settings → Bluetooth, Select ‘Fret Zealot’ and ‘Forget’.
- Disable / Enable Bluetooth in the System Settings.
- Open your Fret Zealot app, select Scan, and your Fret Zealot should show up ready to connect!
If you still can’t see the Fret Zealot in the App, try verifying the ‘Location’ permission is granted:
- Go into System Settings → Apps & Notifications –> Fret Zealot
- Toggle “Location” permission, which is used to connect to Bluetooth devices.
8) What if my Fret Zealot LED strip doesn’t turn on when I turn on the battery?
Make sure you’ve charged your battery module for a few hours. Are the connectors plugged in completely? Try unplugging them and re-plugging. If none of that works, please email support@FretZealot.com and we’ll help you out!
9) I still have questions! How can I contact the Fret Zealot team?
Please email support@FretZealot.com or fill out the contact form here. We usually respond within 24 – 48 hours!
10) What is the warranty for Fret Zealot?
One year from date of purchase for any manufacturing defects.
11) What are the system requirements for Fret Zealot?
Android: Fret Zealot will work on devices running Android 5.0.1 or newer, and which support Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy (BLE). If unsure, GSMArena is a great resource for finding device details.
iOS: Every iOS device since iPhone 5 is supported by Fret Zealot and running iOS 10 or newer.
Looking for tips on how to install Fret Zealot?